Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Rubbery Desertscape: "Martian Goldrush"

Martian Gold Rush

I was happy with how this painting initially ended up--as a Dr. Seussian set of rock formations; very Southwestern, in a sort of surreal, Salvidor Dali sort of way...but something was missing...that extra special bit of spice. What could it be? Of course! One of my comic book drawings pasted right into the painting! (He a little hard to see in this photo, but he's there, standing atop a cliff in his cyan blue space uniform) So there you have it: a crazed looking astronaut character staking a claim (with his flag) in the middle of nowhere atop some Martian cliffs.

Ideally, I'd like to go back into a lot of my paintings, and start pasting my own comics back into them, out of respect and reverence for my artistic roots (that is, comic books), but also...because I think it would be a lot of fun, and would make the work more interesting! Cartoons being happiness and joy! So why not insert a little nugget of joy into my own painting, in the form of one of my own cartoons? Sounds like a good idea to me! Besides, collage has a rich history; just ask Picasso or Kurt Schwitters. And what's more, now the work doesn't feel so lonely. The colors here, also, hearken back to comics: the orange and blue are the same colors that you'll find in old Donald Duck comics.And you thought art was just about being a free spirit? Ha! It's a lot like engineering too. There's a lot of tweaking that you've got to do to get things to feel just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment