Thursday, September 9, 2010

Cartoony Surrealist Landscapes


This is another piece in my series of cartoony abstract paintings. I painted it about a week ago. This all start out as very loose sketches, more of an explorations of lines, shapes, and patterns, more than anything else. In short time, images and forms begin to appear; it has an "evolving" feel. I help along shapes and forms that look promising, like they could be interesting in my painting. So, I clump some together, erase other, and in this sort of artistic negotiation, I get to know my painting, I see what it is that's coming into view, and when it becomes clear, I strengthen it with some light and shadow.  My abstract work usually looks like some sort of cartoony surrealist landscape, which is a great way to describe Tucson.

No comments:

Post a Comment