Sunday, September 19, 2010

"Radiant Energy"

This recent painting, called Radiant Energy is from my Fine Pulpe Arte series, which takes its inspiration from old paperback novel artwork, and old comics from the Golden and Silver Age of comics.  (As background music, perhaps you can image an old radio drama playing, such as "The Shadow"...) This piece is supposed to be about inspiration, but from a campy place that references Jewish contributions to popular culture.  Jews had a big part in the creation of comic books and  pulp novels, so this painting is sort of a tribute to all of that. Made with the methods and materials of old comix: Painted with tempera paint and ink on corragated cardboard, then stapled to a sheet of plywood, also painted with tempera paint.  It's a large sucker: about 4 feet x 2.5 feet.  People have told me that my work reminds them of Philip Guston's..and I can see that.  I like this piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment